University of California at Davis - UCD
Genealogy, Family and Local History Research
General UCD campus departments and library information, UCD Shields library
tour and transportation, genealogy and family history book and periodical
catalog searches, with additional regional genealogical resource
depositories near the UCD Shields main campus library.
|Family Genealogy & History Internet Education Directory - Wiki||SEARCH This Site|
|Campus Library Information|
|Library System Book Catalog N -- Z|
|Library System Genealogy Periodicals|
|Melvyl® System - University of California|
|Tour & Transportation: Peter J. Shields Main Library|
UC Davis Regional
Genealogical Resource Information:
Alameda -- Butte --- Colusa --- Contra Costa -- El Dorado
Marin --- Mendocino ---- Napa ---- Placer ---- Sacramento
San Francisco - San Joaquin - San Mateo - Santa Clara
Santa Cruz -- Solano -- Sonoma -- Sutter -- Yolo -- Yuba
WorldCat®: University of California Libraries
provides current information
specific entries listed below,
(full holdings, locations, call numbers, etc.); or, to find new additions in the entire collection. A general
search can be done by subject or keywords; for example, use: "genealog*", etc. for the entire collection.
ACADEMIC INFORMATION - UNIVERSITY of CALIFORNIA at DAVIS
UC Davis - Facebook®
* iTunes® U
UC Davis - Search UC Davis Pages
* Family History - Genealogy - Local History
* Find People
- List of Notable Alumni
- List of Notable Faculty
* UC Davis Parents
* UC Davis Social Network
University of California at Davis: UC Davis Virtual Tour
* ASUCD Information Network
Associated Students University of California, Davis.
* Cal Aggie Alumni Association
Advances the interest and promotes the
welfare of the university and its alumni.
- Cal Aggie Alumni Association - Benefits
- Alumni - UC Davis: UC Davis Magazine
- Cal Aggie Alumni Association - Facebook®
- Cal Aggie Alums - Facebook®
- UCD History
* Campus - Davis Wiki
* Mondavi Center - for the Performing Arts
* Places of Worship - Spiritual Organizations - Davis Wiki
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- California Sacramento LDS Mission
Includes West Sacramento LDS Ward area in Yolo County.
- California Santa Rosa Mission
- Davis 1st Ward
- Davis 2nd (Married Student) Ward
- Davis Elmwood (YSA) Ward
* Special Departmental Projects & Courses
- History Department
- Humanities, Social Sciences & Government Information Services
- Life Cycles, Kinship & Growth in Human Populations: Introduction
- Family as a distinct unit of study provides an opportunity to jointly
examine demographic, economic, sociological and biological variables.
Includes family history and genealogy.
- Human Genome Project
- Life Tables and Mortality
- Medieval & Early Modern Studies
- UC Davis Extension
- Arts & Humanities
- Areas of Study
- Family History Courses
- UC Davis Health System - Medical Center - School of Medicine
- California Electronic Death Registration System (CA-EDRS) (pdf)
- University of California Digital History Archives: Davis Campus
- Vietnam War Through New Eyes
CAMPUS LIBRARY INFORMATION: UC Davis - University Library System
* About the Libraries
- UC Davis Libraries & Collections
- Special Collections
* Advanced Search [WorldCat.org]
WorldCat™ (@ OCLC) and other specialized databases, are only available with approved
Passwords off campus. Passwords are available to UC students, faculty and staff. They are
not available to California State Library, California State University, or other non-UC users.
* Books & Journal Collections in Transition
* Borrowing from library catalogs, or connecting from off campus to Licensed Databases
and Course Reserves, can be facilitated with Interlibrary Loan and Document Delivery.
Melvyl® basic search includes information on how to Print/Email saved search results to
destinations outside the library system. The Internet databases contain millions of records,
with some holdings updated weekly. UC Alumni courtesy library privileges includes both
borrowing and circulation.
* Classes are periodically given for beginners at the Shields Library that cover extensively
the use of the MELVYL® System and its excellent worldwide Library Research resources.
General public access is provided on a space available basis. Library Instruction Services
includes online Guides/Tutorials.
* Computers in the library connected to the Internet can be used by the general public
following posted University Library research policy. Information can be E-mailed
directly to home computers, (if you have your own private E-mail account), or sent
to the library copy center. Contact Library Reference Consultants. Use discretely at
low student volume use, such as on weekends, (not during finals), early in the morning
or later in the evening. Break times and summer are excellent. The Libraries are open
for very long hours under the jurisdiction of excellent paid professional staff.
* E-Mail Reference Service
* Facts about the University Library
* General public access to worldwide database resources (almost 2 billion holdings),
includes access to over 285 million bibliographic records in WorldCat™, directly
obtained from computer terminal screens within the Shields Library / system libraries.
This provides direct access to records of any type of material cataloged by OCLC
member libraries (72,000 + worldwide). This includes manuscripts written as early
as the 11th century. Universities and many of the participating OCLC members,
allow Interlibrary Loans of genealogical records. What is seen online can usually
be sent for, via a local area public branch Library. Other UC Davis Collections,
Electronic Databases and Subject Guides expand access to records.
* Harvest Portal: Getting Started - Harvest Help - University Library
Databases, library catalogs, information and basic Keyword search.
The University of California at Davis Harvest Portal basic keyword(s)
anywhere search for "genealog*", shows 2641 records found listed, as of
April 07, 2012, with 221 "family history"; 5039 [family history] search results.
There are 402 "local history"; 3089 [local history] search results, as well
as 27 results found for a search of "genealog*" in Journals and Serials;
also, 5 results found in E-Journals: Annals of Genealogical Research.
* Health Sciences Libraries
- Frequently Asked Questions: WorldCat®: UC Davis Libraries
- General Reference Resources
* Librarian Subject Specialists - Directories
* Library History: People
* Library Vocabulary: A Glossary
* Shields Library - Davis Wiki
TOUR & TRANSPORTATION
UC Davis Shields Library in the Sacramento Valley, is a user-friendly resource in the State
of California, for patrons willing to do their own work and spend the time to learn the system.
It is a primary historical, genealogy and family history research center in the north central
California area. It is listed among the top university research institutions in the world.
Additionally, this California statewide Agricultural Institution provides a family friendly
atmosphere. The agricultural collections provide information and resources of the basic
ancestry and historical setting of most of mankind, in all nations and among all peoples
since the beginning of time. The Bible, for example, is much more easily understood
from an agricultural perspective. Historically, in the United States prior to the 1870's,
agriculture was the major occupation in the nation. Going back to the 1790 U.S. census,
statistics show that about 90 per cent of the United States population was involved in
agriculture, with founding father and first President George Washington not excluded.
Shields Library Floor Plans and other Library locations can be combined with the Library
of Congress Classification System, to determine the location of resources, from "A to Z".
Red covered Library of Congress Subject Headings books, are located at reference points
throughout the library. A primary area for genealogy records, the Auxiliary Sciences of
History "C" section, is located in the Second Floor Library Main Reading Room, with added
books and personal help provided at the Humanities / Social Sciences reference counter,
with its extensive reference selections.
Shields Library has thousands of books on the subject of family history, genealogy,
or related disciplines and research aids. The Map & GIS Data Collection, in Lower Level
of the library has the useful Sanborn Map Collection. Additionally, there are Third Floor
maps in the "G" Geography section and Second Floor reference section maps, in all
sizes and content. A Lower Level example of a genealogy research aid is the book:
Distances Between Ports, VK 799 D57 1985, that provides good information on connecting
ports. This information can be used to calculate the time for ship travel and determine
unknown port or ports of departure. The Federal Records Depository, always open to
the general public, is located at the Lower Level, with The Microform Collection and
copy areas, including some microfilm readers and microform reproduction. The "B"
section includes resources on Religious Studies and congregational information.
The Lower Level also has over 20,000 "D" History section books on the British Isles,
including specialized runs of periodical works, individual city and regional histories.
The German collection has over 1,000 history books and information.
RESEARCH NOTE: D (History: General & Outside the Americas) and DA-DR (Great Britain -
Europe) Pattern of codes go from general works, to regional works and serials / publications,
then to specific items. An alphabetical nationwide section for cities, local parish records
and individual document sources are at the end of various history sub sections.
There are over 3 million volumes in the campus-wide library system, over 23 million records
on the UC System wide computer terminals and an excess of 33 million volumes in the UC
system, overall. First Floor reference consultants can direct patrons to specific records, such
as the multi-thousand "DS 101-15l" Jewish book collection section, on the same floor, which
contains some specific genealogical and family records; or, to the Lower Level "BM" section
synagogue resources. The First Floor has numerous computer terminal stations, copy - print
facilities, special needs, Special Collections, extended hours reading room, reserves, the
relaxed New Book section and main book checkout - check in or return counter.
Legal State of California residents can join the Alumni Association as sustaining members.
The UCD Alumni Association card allows access to the ten UC Library systems statewide,
(UCD, UCLA, UCB, etc.), with individual library cards made for each library. This gives free
general library borrowing privileges, with restrictions, as applied at local sites. An active
UCD Shields Library card can retrieve stored UCD records at NRLF, the Northern Regional
Library Facility, in Richmond, California. There are about five (5) million low use books
from all institutions, with over two (2) million books from UC Berkeley, at NRLF. Many of
these unrestricted records can be brought up and delivered for use at UCD, or taken home
to review. For genealogical society groups, there is the nearby Blanchard Room, at Yolo
County Library - Davis Branch, providing community room access for group organizations,
upon advance registration approval. The Yolo County Library at Davis provides Interlibrary
Loan services, for individuals with proper identification, who wish to purchase a local card.
Genealogy records, checked out for home use through this program, can obtain resources
from long distance participating institutions. They are a welcome addition to Local and
Regional LDS Family History Centers, their CD's and microform collections loan services.
At Shields Library Second
Floor is the Humanities &
with genealogy resources, the Auxiliary Sciences of History "C" section, as well as many
CDs of interest, including Historical Abstracts, American History Abstracts, Dissertations,
special ethnic group collections and the Biography and Genealogy Master Index from
(Gale Publications). Key reference books provide clues on how to do Prosopography
and family history research. Also, there are over 500 resource books in the "E" section
related to migration (History: America and United States - Ethnic Resources: Genealogy -
Migrations, etc.). The "F" section (History: United States Local and North & South America)
includes numerous invaluable runs of regional periodical collections that are not readily
available at the world's largest Family History Library, in Salt Lake City, Utah. Family
and local history can be found in period music scores, alumni records, or in the purchase
of books during Library used book sales.
United States Local History classification pattern begins with the North Eastern States,
to the Southern U.S., then the Midwestern U.S., Western U.S., U.S. Territories, etc.;
followed by the F 1000 - (Canada) section and then the F 1201 - on: (Mexico, then
Central America to South America). Additional areas of genealogical interest are
the "G" (Geography, Atlases, Maps, Anthropology, Recreation), GR (Folklore), GT
(Manners and Customs - Private/Public); "H" (Social Sciences: Local Population Studies
at HB 885 L81; or, Time & Society , An International Interdisciplinary Journal, with
Vol. 5, Number 2, 1996, HM 208 T56, containing the article: "The Family Historian
and Temporal Orientations Towards the Ancestral Past". Its findings, reported from a 1994
mail survey of 1348 members of a Canadian genealogical society, (and constantly updated),
shows the impact of the family historian role on personal identity and family culture),
HQ 503-1064 (The Family, Marriage, Home), HS (Societies: Secret, Benevolent, etc.);
"J" (Political Science), JS (Local Government, Municipal Government), JV (Colonies
& Colonization, Emigration & Immigration, International Migration); "K" (Law); "L"
(Education), LA (History of Education, Biography), LD-LG (Individual Institutions), LJ
(Student Fraternities and Societies in the United States); "M" (Music and Books on Music)
and ML 410 (Composer Biographies).]
The Shields Library Third Floor contains current computer periodicals for review
and "S" agricultural resources, the basic ancestry and historical setting of most of
mankind. There are S1-19 (Periodicals and Societies), S 415-417 (Biography) and
S 419-471 (History). "T" (Technology) includes TF (Railroads), TR (Photography)
and TX (Home Economics). Pertinent "U" Military Science and "V" Naval Science
sections add insights into military acts, ships and ship construction, oceanic travel
and migration. The "Z" Library Science & Information Resources section has numerous
bibliographic works that assist genealogists and family historians, such as Bibliography,
Books, Information, Library & Writing.
The Shields Library Fourth Floor has a very large collection of "P" Language and Literature,
as well as "N" architectural information that can be used for constructing house or other
building histories. Famous authors, such as Shakespeare, provide exclusive book resources
with exhaustive period information, at the local history or city level, when matched with
genealogy and family history local research areas of interest.
UC Davis (TAPS) and YOLOBUS connect with the downtown Sacramento area and Regional
links to Sacramento International Airport. Eating establishments are located near the Library,
both on and off campus. There is a U.S. Post Office branch north of the Library, located
in the Memorial Student Union. Using a local LDS FHC, or other genealogical society or
library, without recourse to the UC System in the State of California, or other library systems
available online, is an unwise use of time, very costly and an ineffective use of resources.
UC DAVIS REGIONAL GENEALOGICAL RESOURCE INFORMATION
AREA COLLECTIONS: Local Public Libraries
- Yolo COUNTY: Yolo [County CAGenWeb]
- Yolo County: Yolo County, California
- Yolo County and Regional Information
- City of Davis & Yolo County, California
Counties surrounding the University of California,
at Davis, Peter J. Shields Main Campus Library.
* Alameda COUNTY: Alameda [County CAGenWeb]
- Alameda County: Alameda County, California
- California Genealogical Society and Library
2201 Broadway, Suite LL2, Oakland, CA 94612-3031
- Oakland California LDS (Mormon) Temple
- Oakland California LDS (Mormon) Temple District
- Oakland California Large Multi-stake Family History Center
- Stake and Ward LDS Web Sites
* Butte COUNTY: Butte [County CAGenWeb]
- Butte County: Butte County, California
* Colusa COUNTY: Colusa [County CAGenWeb]
- Colusa County: Colusa County, California
* Contra Costa COUNTY: Contra Costa [County CAGenWeb]
- Contra Costa County: Contra Costa County, California
- Contra Costa County Historical Society: Links
* El Dorado COUNTY: El Dorado [County CAGenWeb]
- El Dorado County: El Dorado County, California
* Marin COUNTY: Marin [County CAGenWeb]
- Marin County: Marin County, California
* Mendocino COUNTY: Mendocino [County CAGenWeb]
- Mendocino County: Mendocino County, California
* Napa COUNTY: Napa [County CAGenWeb]
- Napa County: Napa County, California
* Placer COUNTY: Placer [County CA GenWeb]
- Placer County: Placer County, California
- Placer County Genealogical Society: Local Links
* Sacramento CITY and COUNTY: Sacramento [County CAGenWeb]
- California Museum
- California State Archives: Links
- California State Library: California History and Genealogy
- City of Sacramento | CC&L | Center for Sacramento History
- CSUS - Genealogy - LibGuides at California State University Sacramento: Genealogy - at
- Sacramento California LDS (Mormon) Temple
- Sacramento California LDS (Mormon) Temple District
- Sacramento Regional Family History Center - LDS (Mormon) Church
- Stake and Ward LDS Web Sites
- Sacramento California Stake
- Sacramento County: Sacramento County, California
- Sacramento Public Library - Genealogy: Advanced Reference Sources
* San_Francisco CITY and COUNTY: San Francisco [County CAGenWeb]
- Bancroft at UC Berkeley
- California Historical Society
- Museum of the City of San Francisco
- Portal:San Francisco Bay Area
- San Francisco Bay Area JGS Local Resources
- San Francisco County: San Francisco County, California
- Sutro Library: California State Library - Collections: Sutro
- (Adolph Sutro) CSL Catalog - Quick Searches
* San Joaquin COUNTY: San Joaquin [County CAGenWeb]
- San Joaquin County: San Joaquin County, California
* San Mateo COUNTY: San Mateo [County CAGenWeb]
- San Mateo County: San Mateo County, California
* Santa Clara COUNTY: Santa Clara [County CAGenWeb]
- Santa Clara County: Santa Clara County, California
* Santa Cruz COUNTY: Santa Cruz [County GenWeb]
- Santa Cruz County: Santa Cruz County, California
* Solano COUNTY: Solano [County CAGenWeb]
- Solano County: Solano County, California
- Solano County Genealogical Society Index
* Sonoma COUNTY: Sonoma [County CAGenWeb]
- Sonoma County: Sonoma County, California
- Sonoma County Library Genealogy Resources
* Sutter COUNTY: Sutter [County CAGenWeb]
- Sutter County: Sutter County, California
* Yuba COUNTY: Yuba [County CAGenWeb]
- Yuba County: Yuba County, California
Return To: Family Genealogy and History Internet Education Directory - Wiki